History Banter Podcast, episode 29: Lewis & Clark and Manifest Destiny (Image Comics, 2014) w/ Jason Venable

This week, Brad Folsom and I (Cameron Sinclair) are joined by Jason Venable (The Podcast That Goes Snikt!!) to discuss a new comic book series based on the Lewis and Clark Expedition (1804-1806).��Manifest Destiny, by Image Comics, follows Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, Sacajawea, and the rest of the expedition as they explore the Louisiana Purchase and fight various monsters in a mystical version of an early-19th-century United States. We also talk about the Lewis-and-Clark-themed parody Almost Heroes (1998), in which Chandler Bing (Matthew Perry) and Tommy Boy (Chris Farley) try to beat Lewis & Clark to the Pacific Ocean. Why are these the most well-known recent depictions of the expedition? Did Buffalotaurs and Veggie Monsters really exist? And why should we care about Lewis and Clark anyway?

Lewis_and_ClarkManifest_Destiny_1

Let us know what you think! Tweet us (@historybanter), post on our Facebook page (facebook.com/historybantercom), or email us ([email protected]). Thanks again for listening!

On the next podcast – A history of Captain American in comics and film

Intro music from this episode:
“Compulsion” from Kingdom of Rust by Doves – facebook.com/Doves

Click here to subscribe on iTunes!

Play
(Visited 158 times, 8 visits today)
Share →